Door Slamming

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Door Slamming
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 12:59:52 -0400
Well . .I don't know what my aversion was to actually trying to fix my door
that required slamming.  (TR4)

I pulled out a screw driver after work before I went home and started
messing with the striker / guide (nylon piece) on the body.

Moved it around and tried a few different times . .eventually ...VIOLA.

It closes with ease now.

I do believe that the door is sagging on its hinges a bit.
The nylon piece is pretty chewed up.

What's the terminology for all those things anyway?

There's the piece on the door ..  .at the top is a sort of hook and midway
down is a sort of ratcheting sprocket assembly.

Just below that is a pin sticking out.

On the body, there's a socket that the hook catches . . .which has a spring
loaded plate in it.

Then midway down is the striker / guide.
The main part of this piece is nylon with a slot in it to guide the pin in
the right place (for sagging doors)

On the top edge are a couple of teeth that engage the ratcheting sprocket on
the door.

There is one other feature of this part that I don't understand, but it is
very hard to describe.

When the pin slides into the nylon slot . . there is apiece that will ride
along the top of the pin. . this piece actually pivots on my car.  Maybe it
is supposed to be spring loaded for all I know.  It almost looks like if you
could close your door far enough . .this piece would pivot down and hold
that pin snuggly against the seals.

I'm sure that's clear as mud.

In any event . . . now I'm trying to teach myself not to slam the bejesus
out of the door.

It's a lot quiter going down the road too.

Thanks for the advice . . .

All I can say is ..get in there and mess with it.
Can't really hurt anything as far as I can tell.

Scott Tilton
1963 TR4 Everyday

Check out the new British Cars Forum: