Re: lightened flywheel?

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>, "tri" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: lightened flywheel?
From: emanteno@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 15:27:35 +0000

> On Monday I plan to take my TR4's flywheel to the machine shop (along with
>the other stuff).
> I'll ask him to balance it and to lighten it if possible. If this is a good
> thing to do, also will he know where to take out metal on it?
In my opinion, lightening the flywheel is a good thing. I raced my TR4 with a
lightened stock flywheel for a couple of years. It definitely helps the engine
rev up faster. There is some technique to doing the lightening properly so that
the flywheel retains its strength. If Jack Drews reads this email, he'll
probably respond and he can tell you from where material can safely be removed.
Another weight saver is going to the later 4A-6 clutch. The later clutch is
much lighter. If you want to do this, you can have the flywheel drilled to
accept the later clutch while it is being lightened. Note that if you choose to
go to the later clutch, there are a couple of minor mods that you will need to
make (tranny snout, throw out bearing, etc) so that everything will remain in
harmony. There are some people who feel having a lightened flywheel makes the
car more tricky to drive, especially when pulling away from a stop. I never
have experienced that, even with my current flywheel, which is a very
lightweight steel flywheel (9# without the ring gear) that came from Cambridge
Motorsports (NFI) in England. My car is easy to launch and I would feel driving
it on the street. HTH,
Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
63 TR4 VSCDA Group 2 #58