Re: driving on Right/Left?

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: driving on Right/Left?
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 18:53:50 -0700
Jim Muller wrote:

>So why exactly did some parts of the world end up driving on the left
>side of the road and others on the right?  Please, no Lucas turn
>signal stories!

Perhaps apocryphal but I have heard it was due to Napoleon's army
marching on the right... thus areas of the world conquered by the
Napoleonic army implemented right-hand traffic.

Then there were the Swedes who managed to switch from driving on the
left to driving on the right... obviously not a phased implementation.

Geo Hahn