Re: Bolt extractors 6.26.0.5; VDF: 6.26.0.25; host: imx2.tcd.ie) i6DE7Ct

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bolt extractors 6.26.0.5; VDF: 6.26.0.25; host: imx2.tcd.ie) i6DE7Ct2027932
From: John Gillis <jgillis@gemini.tcd.ie>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:04:15 +0100
Hi Angelo.
I recently tackled this one. One of the manifold nuts had snapped off
flush with the head. I had asked the machine shop to deal with it
while they were doing the usual stuff, they forgot. So I thought how
hard can it be. I bought the best quality reverse thread taper type
extractor I could find. Put the head on my Pillar (Bench) drill,
drilled the pilot hole to the correct size after finding the exact
center of the stud. Then put a tap handle on the extractor and very
very carefully started to screw it in, I got a good depth before the
tool "bit", so now it was a matter of a little force, force applied
and SNAP, the @*+%$$# tool broke leaving the rest of the tool
imbedded in the stud and me with now an even bigger problem. My guess
is this sort of tool only deals with a stud without good access, but
not one that has corroded itself in position.
John
--
John Gillis
1954 TR2 TS3618. October 1954 (ground up)