RE: TR4 generator light

To: "Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 generator light
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 10:51:46 -0700
> Anyway, what would have failed that would both keep the battery from
> charging *and* would "break" the red generator light?

I can't think of a single failure that would cause both of those.  The light
is not essential for generator operation, and all it does is indicate the
difference between the switched ignition voltage, and the generator output
voltage.

A double failure might do it, for example if the cutout contacts welded shut
and the subsequent current burnt out the armature of the generator ... but
that seems extremely unlikely to me (and would always show discharge on the
ammeter, not just when running).

Having both wires pulled off the D terminal on the control box would do it
too.  But I think just disconnecting the generator would still let the lamp
light, although perhaps not as bright as usual, since the coils inside the
control box would provide a path to ground.

Sorry.  Occam's Razor is useful sometimes, but not, I think, this time.

Randall