RE: Bolt extractors http://netwinsite.com/top_mail.htm

To: tr3driver@comcast.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Bolt extractors http://netwinsite.com/top_mail.htm
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:47:06 -0500
>Think I missed the original post ... I have never, ever, had any luck
using
>the tapered extractors.

Once or twice, but pretty-much never.  I have removed some pipes this way.

>My best luck so far has been with drilling in stages to the minor diameter
>of the threads, then picking out the remaining pieces with a dental pick.

The trick is to use LEFT-HANDED drills to do the drilling.  A standard
right-handed twist drill will tighten the broken bolt into the hole.  The
left-handed drill (obviously, you need a reversible drill-motor!) will
impart a torque to the bolt which tends to loosen the bolt instead.
Generally, I have found that the bolt will come out as a result of the
torque and vibration before I am done drilling.

If I have drilled holes with a left-handed drill and the bolt is still
there, it's unlikely that an easy-out will work.

Sears is selling some kind of combination left-handed gizmo to put in your
reversible drill-motor and use to remove broken bolts.  I have no idea if
it works, but they sure are more expensive than buying left-handed drills.

>If that doesn't work, there's always Helicoils ...

Been there, done that, too.

>One of these days I've just got to build an EDM.

Yeah, those broken easy-outs are HARD!

Phil Ethier