RE: Whole lotta' shakin' (cont.)

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Whole lotta' shakin' (cont.)
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 17:31:30 -0700
> Or that the yoke is worn and the cup is just too loose to resist the
> friction of the grease! I have found this to be more common than seized
> bearings.

Seems unlikely they got that way without first having a seized bearing (and
someone perhaps replacing the joint without noticing that the yoke was worn)
... but I suppose anything is possible !

The joint I took out of my TR3A had definitely been seized ... the rollers
were closer to square !  And yes, the yoke was worn until a new cup would
just fall into place, which IMO made it unserviceable.  Installing a used
propshaft (with new U-joints of course) made a big difference in vibration.

Randall