Temperature Gauge Question

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Temperature Gauge Question
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 07:52:55 -0500
Greetings...

I've always had a question regarding the temperature gauges on the earlier
TR's.  The U.S. (Fahrenheit) models have a middle mark at 185 degrees and an
upper mark at 250 degrees; however, the metric (Celsius) models have a
middle mark at 70 degrees and an upper mark at 100 degrees.  Obviously these
numbers don't match up in a straight conversion (185F = 85C; 250F = 121C;
70C = 158F; 100C = 212F).  Does anyone know why the metric temperature gauge
is scaled like it is?  It would seem to me that a running temperature of 70C
would be a little on the cool side (158F), yet it's the midpoint on the
gauge, and one would typically assume that the midpoint on a temperature
gauge is the target operating temperature of the vehicle.

Anyone have an explanation?

Thanks,

Kurtis J.
Russellville, Arkansas