Re: Tying down a trailered car

To: "Ronnie Babbitt" <rbtr3a@cox.net>, "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tying down a trailered car
From: "Blake J. Discher" <bdischer@blakedischer.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:41:00 -0400
At 10:23 PM 6/23/2004, Ronnie Babbitt wrote:
>What do you think is the best method/way to tie down these cars?
>Remember I only have a few inches between cars. There are many tie down
>points/rings down the center of the trailer.

Hi Ronnie...

I travelled to Nashville, TN from Detroit last weekend to pick up a parts
car.  Towed down an empty trailer which has forward wheel stops to
accommodate my Triumph Stag.  I loaded up the Triumph 2000 (which did not
have an engine or trans) and, once on the highway at about 50mph, had
unmanageable sway from side to side.  I puttered along until the next exit
so my dad and I could see what was wrong.  We determined that because the
car had no engine, the weight load on the trailer was too far to the
rear.  We unbolted the wheel stops from the bed of the trailer, moved the
car forward only about 9 inches, and viola!!  Back on the freeway, 65mph,
no sway whatsoever.  A long example to point out that you should probably
load the cars ahead of time and do a test drive at speed.  It may take
several attempts with the cars in different order on the trailer to achieve
the correct weight balance on the trailer.

Now to your question about HOW to secure the cars.  I use axle straps and
the ratcheted 2 inch straps, one set on each corner of the car.  Check them
at every stop you make, especially if they are new, because they stretch a
bit.  Also, be sure the cars are centered side to side on the trailer as
well, it makes a huge difference.

Good luck, I'll see you in Richmond.  We're taking the scenic route,
leaving Saturday, arriving in Richmond Wednesday.  I'll be driving either
the Stag or the 2000.  My wife will be following in the air conditioned
comfort of the Dodge Durango.  She says it's for 8-month old baby Blake's
comfort.  Yeah, right.

Cheers,
Blake Discher, Detroit

----
I'll be driving for charity in the 2004 Michigan British Reliability Run!
Info & Secure credit card donations: http://www.mibrr.com