Reasonably priced geared starters in Europe?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Reasonably priced geared starters in Europe?
From: "Eric K." <tr3a@xs4all.nl>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 17:47:44 +0200 (CEST)
Hello listers,

My TR3a still has its original, 'bomb type' starter. It has a history of
breaking down and has been rebuilt several times. It is not what you'd
call an enthusiastic performer, but it still works and starts the engine
fine when it's hot.

After reading many happy stories from people who installed one of those
new-fangled high torque geared starters, I'm about ready to get one
myself. I've seen US suppliers which do not seem too expensive, but by the
time it arrives here, with all the shipping costs, taxes and import duties
added, a starter motor would cost me at least 50% more than what I paid
the supplier. So I've been looking around for a good and not-too-expensive
source in Europe.

RevingtonTR has them for GBP202.69, which is well over EUR300...
Moss Europe have them for a slightly more reasonable EUR275.58, which I
think is still a lot of money considering it's only a ligthly modified
standard Japanese starter.
Canley Classics offer them for GBP138 and they even have a DIY option for
GBP65 - just add your own Japanese starter motor. Great, but only for
small-chassis Triumphs, not TR's. :-(

Are there any Europe-based listers who have found better deals on high
torque geared starters for TR2 and 3's and early 3a's? I'd very much like
to hear from them.

TIA

E.

--