Distributor differences??

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Distributor differences??
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 16:24:29 -0700
Cc: spitfires@autox.team.net
It would appear that the electronic and point style distributors would have
different mounting bases -
I have an electronic breaker-less distributor, with the module on the body
of the dizzy.  I was going to use it on the 1296 that I am building for the
wife's car, but it appears that without a different clamping plate I can't
The question, are the mounting pedestals the same, I can't find any
different part number or pictures.  are the clamps also the same?  This is
where I find some discrepancies.  One picture for the later dizzy shows a
clamp that has two ears with what appear to be mounting screw holes that
are slotted to allow some adjustment?! (leading me to believe that the
pedestals ARE different.  My old point style dizzy has a clamp with a
single 1/4 inch bolt/square nut combo perpendicular to the dizzy that locks
or clamps the dizzy in place.  This clamp is secured into the pedestal with
another 5/16 bolt

Can anybody shed some light on this?? I would like to use the electronic
distributor, but I need to know if I need to acquire a different clamping
arraignment and where to get it!!

Thanks -
Barry Schwartz (San Diego)
---