RE: Cleaning Parts

Subject: RE: Cleaning Parts
From: "Jim Bauder" <jimbpps@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 07:05:27 -0700
Guy,

During my "frame-off restoration, for all the small parts, I used a
stand-mounted parts washer from Harbor Freight. I used standard "cleaning
solvent" bought in 5 gallon cans, from a petroleum jobber. For the large
surfaces, such as the inside of the fenders, underside of the car body, etc.
I discovered that the very best cleaner was "Scrubbing Bubbles" bathroom
cleaner! I know it sounds weird, but I bought it from Costco in 3 can packs.
It was very effective on 40 years worth of grease and road dirt. I spayed it
on thick, let it soak, and then sprayed it on again, scrubbed it with a
brush and rinsed it off with a hose. A second application was required in
the very greasiest areas, sometimes with a touch of the aforementioned
solvent, and then a final spray, soak, and rinse with the bathroom cleaner.
I am a devotee of the stuff, and will use it for that kind of cleaning over
any other method that I have tried. My brother who helped me on the
restoration, couldn't believe it either, but when he did a "light"
restoration on his Spitfire, he used it too!!

Good luck and as always, NFI and YMMV,

Jim Bauder
'58 TR3
Scottsdale, AZ