Stag differential mounts.

To: "'ryoung@navcomtech.com'" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: Stag differential mounts.
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:35:13 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
From:   "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com
<mailto:ryoung@navcomtech.com> >

My thought exactly ... why would anyone want to swap a dead-reliable and
quite functional axle for the fragile and cantankerous Triumph IRS ?
There's a reason why you've never heard of anyone having the diff mounts rip
out of a TR3, while it seems to happen all the time to TR6 ... and Stags are
even worse.

Really?  I had heard that Stag differential mounts were less prone to this
typical TR6 problem.

I thought that the Stag differential mount was spaced much farther apart.
The longer "arms" effectively giving a little more leverage against any
torque applied to the differential (case)

Then again .  . .. maybe the Stag has got more torque and is so therefore
still doing a job on the mounts despite the stronger geometric setup?

I knew of a guy who had lots of trouble with the rear in his Stag.
But then I understand his high school aged son liked the Rover V8 installed
in this particular Stag . .but didn't like the automatic.  I suspect he was
doing "neutral drops"  smoke the tires for his friends.

Scott Tilton
1963 TR4 Everyday