RE: Advice needed for Tr3 rear axle tools

To: "Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Advice needed for Tr3 rear axle tools
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 11:41:11 -0700
> Jim, here is a site with directions for the "heat and quench" hub
> removal method:

Hmm, wasn't Joe A. one of the people having trouble with breaking rear axles
?

Heating the end of the axle cherry red is bound to screw up it's heat
treating (or even lack thereof) ... not something I'd want to do to my car.
Might be OK if all you ever do is "parade laps", but losing a wheel at 85
mph is way too exciting for me, I don't care to repeat the experience.

Herman van den Akker has a custom-designed hydraulic hub breaking tool.  I
don't know if he will loan it out (probably not), but you can send your hubs
& axles to him assembled and get them back unassembled.

BTW, removing the hubs from the axles does not make it particularly easier
to change the studs.

Randall