RE: Starting problems

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Starting problems
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 22:10:02 -0700
> Since the pistons are moving up and down I would assume that
> there's no vacuum problem.

Doesn't necessarily follow ... the pistons will move as long as at least
some of the air is coming through the carbs.  You can have a major vacuum
leak, and still have the pistons move.

> The spindles seem to have no wear as the I think that the carbs
> were recond by
> the previous owner (I have had Basil for almost 20 years).

While worn spindles can cause other problems, they're not likely to cause
"won't keep running after started on ether".  The choke will supply more
than enough fuel to compensate for any possible leakage past the throttle
spindles.

> I will take the bowl with the float apart to check for dirt and
> proceed from there.

Start by just removing the lid ... the float should ride fairly high on top
of the fuel in the bowl.  If it's laying in the bottom, then that valve is
not opening (or is not getting fuel) as it should.  If you're going to take
the bowls off the carbs, best to have some new gaskets/seals for them.  My
experience is that they don't last long with modern gasoline anyway, I have
to change mine every two years or so.

Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO daily driver (back on the road, woo hoo!)
71 Stag LE1473L daily driver wanna be (waiting for J-type transplant)
63 Sports 6 HB7826LCV rustoration project
57 TR3 TS21731L rusting quietly