RE: Starting problems

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Starting problems
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 08:16:23 -0700
> My car has sat around for a few years at a time and as a result it is very
> hard to start.
> It starts (for a few seconds) when I squirt easy start (ether)
> down the carbs
> but otherwise won't easily start.

That says the problem is almost certainly fuel not getting through the
carbs, at least not in adequate quantity.  Might be a big vacuum leak
somewhere, or your choke isn't working.  One of our local club members seems
to be having recurring problems with a float valve sticking shut.

> Is there a site with tech info re overhauling the SU carbs on my 62 TR4.

I would strongly recommend a workshop manual.  Original if you can find one
(they show up on eBay from time to time), but a Haynes (available new) will
do.

Randall