Re: What's a Miata?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What's a Miata?
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:19:13 -0600
What's a Miata?
Wwell in my estimation it's a continuation of an old japanese tradition
of taking a British design and refining it so that it actually
functions properly for more than a day or so. ( BSA-Yamaha)  In other
words, it's a British sports car for people who either don't know how,
or don't care to "wrench".

In my motorcycle days I once asked a true biker (read "hog riding fool"
) for advice on acquiring a bike for long distance riding. His
response, which I believe applies in parallel to anyone considering a
two seat open sports car today was, "Depends. If your idea of wrenching
is two hours every morning tightening everything up, get a hog. If your
idea of wrenching is counting the wheels every month or so, buy
Japanese.

I don't own a Miata but have driven one, albeit a prepped one with
really sticky tires and it was amazing.  A club-mate who also owns
vintage bikes and a 60's Alpine prefers the Miata for touring.
Reliable, one hand top lowering and raising, from the drivers seat yet
and no "Sunday morning topping up ceremony".

What's a Miata. It's a Japanese engineered, mass-produced version of
the Lotus Elan with none of the inherent frailty of the original.  (and
some would say lacking some of the character) Maybe it's what Colin
would have produced if he had had multi millions of dollars for R & D
instead of mere thousands and a Ford of England parts book.

In 30 years it will probably have the same panache to the next
generation of middle agers as the cars of our youth do for us.
Cheers
Don