RE: Trunnion oiler (was: Head gasket - TR4)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Trunnion oiler (was: Head gasket - TR4)
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:16:45 -0700
> Interesting site. For those who have been ogling the trunnion oilers being
> offered regularly through Ebay (and going for loadsamoney), you can now
> roll your own for peanuts with the info on this page:

Might be worth mentioning ... those HF pressure oilers are pretty flimsy,
not worth the effort IMO.  I bought one with the thought of making a
trunnion oiler (ala Justin's instructions), but after seeing the unit,
abandoned the idea.

My current approach is a "pistol grip grease gun" from Mercury Marine, P/N
91-37299A, which will take their "toothpaste tube" gear oil cartridge,
92-802844A.   You have to hold the gun upside down, so the oil will run into
it, but otherwise it seems to work quite well in my limited tests.  And it's
complete, no need to chase down the other parts that Justin's conversion
requires.  Nice flexible pressure hose, too.

Go to
http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/PartsExpress
and click on the "Accessories" link for information on how to mail order
these items.

Total cost to me, including S&H and the oil, was about $25.
Randall