TR4 tail lights, front flashers and seats... and carburetors

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 tail lights, front flashers and seats... and carburetors
From: "Kurtis" <kurtisj@cox-internet.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 21:45:46 -0500
Greetings List,

I am beginning to grow more curious regarding the "correctness" of my car.
I've come to the conclusion that my seats are probably not correct (I have
the TR3/early TR4 type).  I'm also curious about the lens cover colors of
the tail lights and the front signal flashers.  I have seen cars (from
various years) with clear and amber front flashers (mine are clear) and all
red and red/amber tail lights (mine are all red).  Were there actually
specific change  points for the lens colors?

I'm also confused regarding the different carburetors used.  Right now my
understanding is that the TR4 started out with the SU H6, switched to ZS,
then I get confused... Bill Piggott's book mentions a "trial run" of cars
with ZS carbs at engine CT16800E,  then a permanent switch at CT21471E.  The
book also mentions that the first closed-circuit breathing system was at
engine CT14233E.

What happened after the trial run at CT16800E?  Were all cars then fitted
with SU carbs, or was there a mix?  Also, I've never seen an SU H6 equipped
car with a closed system, but Bill Piggott's book would seem to indicate
that there were such equipped cars.

BTW, my engine number is CT18812E (which would put me in the limbo area
regarding carbs - I have SU H6's) and chassis number is CT19389L (those seem
a little far apart to me).

Sorry for the ignorance... but I'm curious and somewhat bored this evening.
:)

Kurtis J.
Russellville, Arkansas
1963 TR4