Re: TR6 rotor question

To: "levilevi" <levilevi@comcast.net>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 rotor question
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 09:08:24 -0700
  From: levilevi
  To: Triumph List ; Kinderlehrer
  Sent: Sunday, April 25, 2004 4:19 AM

  Bob,

  Here's a couple guesses on your friends rotor and dist. cap problems.  Are
you sure he's getting the rotor down snug on the distributor shaft?  Could be
that the rotor is snapping off because only a portion of that dog is down in
the notch.  And if it's sitting too high the dist. cap might catch the rotor
which would then snap off the dog (weakest link) on the first spin of the
distributor shaft.

  That rotor should be solid on the shaft with no wiggle.  Could be that the
rotor wiggles itself free enough to wreck havoc with the cap and in the
process destroy itself. I've seen guys in our club "shim" a loose rotor with a
piece of matchbox cover and make a TR6 run lots smoother at one of our tech.
session meetings.  It was a good temporary fix until the owner of the 6 could
get a Lucas rotor, which IMHO fits the best and tightest.  I've had caps that
looked like the rotor had just barely touched the contacts inside the cap and
I'm about 97% sure it was from a loose (and aftermarket) rotor.   Good Luck.