Heading to Texas, part 2: Gearbox work on '78 Spit

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Heading to Texas, part 2: Gearbox work on '78 Spit
From: richard triplett <rtriplett25@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 18:47:06 -0700 (PDT)
Hello again,

Please see previous message for background on why I'm
heading to Texas.

While I'm there, part of my 'chore list' is to take a
peak at a near-restored '78 Spitfire. It needs a few
things, namely a new throttle cable and some electric
glitches ironed out. I had a chance to drive it last
fall and found it drove pretty rough (and not just
because the wrong throttle cable was on and the gas
would stick).

The gearbox was a bear to work. Firstly, if 1st gear
is synchronized, it's going out. But most annoying was
trying to get into 2nd. If I finessed it just right
and slammed clutch to floor all the way, it would work
in somewhat smoothly. Without this extreme attention,
it would constantly grind and gnash into gear. I had
no time to even look underneath though. So, I am
farming for ideas, particularly if it's something I
can buy beforehand.

My guess of this notchy gearbox is a) mis-adjusted
slave cylinder b) bad gear. Any other ideas are
appreciated.

Richard