RE: TR3A Vaccuum Advance Unit

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A Vaccuum Advance Unit
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 00:34:38 -0700
>      I need a new vaccuum advance for my TR3A. I am using a Lucas 25D (TR4
> or MGB) distributor and my current one is locked up.

Not sure I understand you here, Bill.  Is the dizzy locked up or the vacuum
advance ?

>      Can they be worked free without damaging them?

Should be possible to remove an advance regardless of it's condition.  BTW,
AFAIK the vacuum units mechanically interchange between the DM2P and 25D,
except for the vacuum fitting.  There are different amounts of vacuum
advance, but your engine will run with them.

>      Do any listers have an extra vaccuum advance for a 25D laying around
> that they would part with?

I might have a core in the parts bin ... don't think any of them are good.

>      Are there any places that overhaul vaccuum advances for a reasonable
> price?

Ask you local NAPA or independent parts house if they can send it out to be
rebuilt.  Mine can, ISTR I paid around $35 or $40.

Randall