How to unstick a stuck clutch?

To: "Triumph \(E-mail\)" <triumphs@autox.team.net> FILETIME=[D5E11010:01C42155]
Subject: How to unstick a stuck clutch?
From: "Freeman, Noah" <nfreeman@baincapital.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 08:50:02 -0400
Hey all- long time no post (ive been in lurk mode for a long time now)...

Im trying to get charlie my TR4 on the road after a winter of being in a giant
ziplocced car bag...

while he's starting fine in neutral, and when he's not started I can shift the
gears, when hes started in neutral, if i push the clutch in and then try to
shift gears, i can hear the syncros grinding and i cant put the car in
gear...i think the clutch is stuck closed regardless of pedal position...

This happened a few years ago after storage and what I did was get it all
warmed up, turn it off, then put it in 2nd gear, and start it with the clutch
depressed while pushing hte car a bit in 2nd gear...the torque of hte engine
catching and revving on the open clutch pulled the plates loose, and I was
free...but was a pretty violent sequence...

questions-
-what shoud I do? does my "start the car in gear and let it rip itself loose"
trick sound good?
-what is going wrong that this happens most springtimes when i put charlie on
the road?  why is the clutch sticking?

Thanks in advance!

Noah

Noah Freeman
Brookside Capital + Bain Capital
617.516.2922 (v) 617.516.2923 (f)
111 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA, 02199, USA
nfreeman@baincap.com

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a
name of winmail.dat]