Trans re-assembly question - GT6

To: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Trans re-assembly question - GT6
From: aribert <aribert@c3net.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 23:38:23 -0400
I have a question concerning the orientation of the 1-2 shift asmembly -
specifically the orientation of the inner component.  I dismantled my
trans only to find out the shift assembly inner part is not symmetrical
(in other words the on one side the hub is 0.050 inches away from the
outer flange and the opposite side the hub is 0.185 in. away from the
outer flange).

I purchased a second (core) trans, dismantling it much more carefully,
laying all the pieces out in order.  THen being a Dufus, I
absentmindedly picked up the shift hub to see how the it snapped as the
balls/ springs acted on the outer ring.  The shift hub from the core
trans moved much easier out of the neutral position, the center section
pushed right thru, springs and balls went flying and I dropped the two
major parts onto the work bench in order to chase the springs and
balls.  ANd of course I lost track of the orientation.

THe Bentley / factory shop manual is not clear as to how to orient the
inner relative to the outer (the outer is very distinctive and easy to
identify the correct orientation).  So far I have contacted the TRF tech
line and Spitbits to no success.  An attempt to illustrate the issue is
shown below.

__________
   I  I
   I  I
  _I  I__
          < notice how the hub is non-symetrical with respect to the
flange and the outer flange,
  _    __
   I  I
   I  I

THe hub (mounted on the main shaft) positions the shift assembly.  WIth
a variation of 0.135 inches the from one side to the other, I am trying
to solve the issue prior to assembling the trans only to find out that I
guessed wrong and needing to tear down the trans again.  TIA.