Re: Leaky Diff

To: <adam@adambeasley.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Leaky Diff
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 10:38:08 -0600
Adam, its not too hard.  I prefer to remove the exhaust system first but not
required.  If your pinion flange has a groove (check with your fingernail)
from being worn by the seal, then try some crocus cloth to clean it up.  If
you cant get rid of it, then you can use a speedi-sleeve to put over the
shaft.  Not sure of the number but Napa and others should carry this item.  If
you use the leather seal, soak in oil overnight or longer before you install
it.  Finally, you ned to be mindful of whether you have a new or old rear
diff.  The newer units have a castellated nut that was originally installed
using a crush washer to set the preload of the pinion shaft.  If you dont
crank on that nut too hard, I think you should be ok.  The older units use a
locknut to secure the pinion flange, and it uses shims to set the preload I
believe, so not an issue.  Also, before you go thru this trouble, check the
vent.  You should find a pin near the back of the unit that should be loose,
allowing pressure to escape.

John Lumia - 1976 TR6

Adam wrote:>
My TR6 recently started leaking from the rear diff.  It seems to be coming
from the front around the differential mount. possibly the pinion oil seal?
How difficult is this to replace?  Has anyone else had this happen?