TR4 Starter Problems?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 Starter Problems?
From: "Kurtis" <kurtisj@cox-internet.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 08:39:07 -0500
Greetings...

I had my TR4 out of the basement this weekend and running quite well.  I am
having a problem with the starter now I think.  It turns the car over fine
when cold, but immediately after shutdown (once temperature is reached), it
will not turn the car over.  I can wait half an hour or so for things to
cool down a little, and it will turn it over.

I've had the battery checked (it's less than 6 months old), and I've made
sure it's fully charged.  When I explained the problem to a co-worker, he
suggested that it sounds like the starter and/or the solenoid is getting too
hot and that I might try installing some kind of heat shield around it.

Is this a common problem with TR4's?  I've never really had the problem
before with the car, and it does seem to be a heat related problem, since it
will crank once it cools down a bit.

BTW, the re-built engine has about 1,000 miles on it, so it's still fairly
tight.

Any and all suggestions/help appreciated.

Thanks,

Kurtis J.
1963 TR4
Russellville, Arkansas