Running Rich, REALLY Rich

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (List)
Subject: Running Rich, REALLY Rich
From: stantr6@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 00:47:08 +0000
List,
I have recently completed reassembly of my 1974 TR6.  Got insurrance, a tag,
and 16 miles on the odometer.  The engine had been rebuilt by a pro, as was the
tranny, with J-type added during rebuild.  During assembly of everything else,
I would periodically run the engine.  It has been running rich since sitting 6
months at the paint shop.  I've replaced the o-rings on the adjustable needles
in the Zenith carbs (oil kept disappearing), I've replaced the stock float
valves with Grous jets from TRF, adjusted the floats, twice.  Still, It smokes
when starting and runs rough.  After a run today, during which I noticed oil
pressure a little lower than before, I checked the oil and discovered it has
quart more than I poured in - GAS.

The gas pump, original, has a rebuild kit in it, including diaphragm.  At one
point, gas poured out of the rear carb while running - I found a bit of debris,
removed same, hasn't poured out since.

I'm getting good at removing and reinstalling the carbs, but I'm obviously
missing something....

Please offer any suggestions, anything to check or anything else to adjust...
thanx,
Stan