Re: Rear axle question

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear axle question
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 23:39:11 +0100
Hi Marty
Do a comparison, the shafts run through a short stroke repeatedly and only
occasionally through a full stroke, this will leave the area at the shortest
length least worn, if the slack there is noticeably less than the normal
working area then they are worn, you will have to be the judge of how worn
and if it is time to junk them.
Can you feel slop if you try and bend them? Clamp one end in a vice pointing
upwards then try to push and pull as if to bend the shaft, wear in this axis
is more critical than along the line of normal action, as this would allow
the shaft to create an arc when spinning rather than a line.

Graham.