Getting closer to the road

To: "Adam C Beasley" <adam@adambeasley.com>
Subject: Getting closer to the road
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 08:52:04 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, "'6-Pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net> i2NDsP8B000815
Message text written by "Adam C Beasley"
>The anti-run-on valve has been disconnected
>from the servo unit and the hose plugged... is this something that I
should
>be concerned with reconnecting?

I'm an advocate for the Anti-run-on system.  Nothing takes away the cool
factor when the engine diesels and bucks and clatters when you shut down.
There are two parts to this system, the vacuum part and the electrical
part.  Make sure the wiring is all there.  It is wired up to a special pole
on the keyswitch and the oil pressure switch.  The vacuum circuit has four
connections.  The large, center section tees into the crankcase vent hoses
that connect to the valve cover and the carbs.  This also purges the
gasoline fumes from the charcoal so removing this impares the evaproative
loss control system.

The two small hoses connected on top go to the gas tank and the top side of
the float chambers in the carbs.  This last connection is crucial to the
porper operation of the anti-run-on system since it's function is to apply
manifold vacuum to the float chambers which pulls the fuel away from the
jets effectively depriving the engine of fuel preventing run-on.

The fourth vacuum connection is the vacuum line to the solenoid valve.  Be
very careful of the vacuum connection to the valve is this plastic barb
fitting is very fragile and will break off at the slightest hint of abuse.
Don't forget the U shaped hose between the valve and the bottom connection
to the canister.

>While in the process of changing spark
>plugs I found the old plugs were gapped wrong... my gauge only measured to
>.040 and they were beyond that... no doubt adding to the problem... guess
>it's no wonder choke had to be on for the car to run!

I had trouble at .035.  I regapped to .025 and all problems whent away.

>Is the Rocker Feed Kit a worthwhile investment?  How difficult is it to
>install?  What kind of modifications need to be made?

This is a good example of too much of a good thing.  Since the TR motor
does not use valve stem seals the additional oil provided by this system
will find its way into the engine increasing oil consumption and smoke.  It
is a solution in searce of a problem, in my opinion, and as long as the oil
passages in the block and head that feed the rocker are not clogged, it is
unnecessary.  Looks neat but is another potential oil leak.

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6
80 TR8