Just pay it!

To: "Michael D. Porter" <portermd@zianet.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Just pay it!
From: "Hugh McAleer" <hrmcaleer@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 09:50:00 -0500
How soon is your hearing?  Remember that I have been out of it for 18
years....so some of my info can kind of be dated.

A couple suggestions:

Have your equipment calibrated ASAP and have your proof in hand.

As you know my experieince is in GA -- TX results may vary.

Go to court - he may not show - no witness - no case.
Was it clocked on his speedo?
If so, where is the proof of his calibration.  GA used to require that we
carry the calibration docs with us but I never had anyone win on contesting
a case that way. However a speedo case was so hokey, we never used that to
write a case.  There was nothing in writing prohibiting a case using the
speedo.
Was he pacing behind you or did he have to speed up to start to pace you?
How long did he pace behind you?  If you can put a bug of doubt into the
judges mind that perhaps he was speeding up to catch you .... that may have
been what he used - he had to go up to 85 to catch you at 70 ... was he
getting close to the baliwick border and wanted to snag you before his
territory ran out.

Was it radar?
Did he offer to show you that the equipment was calibrated?  We had to make
that offer in GA.
Hand held?  Did he zero it out before using it on you? ( Shoot the radar at
the ground )
If it was laser - I can't help much - that came into use after I had left.

Was it Vascar?
I've heard that it is tough to beat.  I have never used that. GSP used it
and the cases I saw, they usually won except once when the judge said he
didn't understand how it worked and dismissed it.  The trooper offered to
take the judge out to see how it worked.

You may want to check to see how many speeding tickets get written in that
jurisdiction ( public record ).  An  inordinanant amount?  Abusive speed
trap?  Get 60 minutes involved.

Good luck!

Hugh R. McAleer
'68 TR250 owner and driver
Zebulon, GA
Georgia Triumph Newsletter Editor
www.gatriumph.com
Pleasure takes discipline - Take the time to stop