Expensive hobby?

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Expensive hobby?
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 00:57:13 -0000
Hi Folks
I have a question that I think I know the answer to, but I live in hope.
Problem is I jacked up the rear of our newly acquired Spity and removed the
half shafts to my other garage for rebuilding, 24 hours or so later I
returned to the Garage with the Spit in and found a strong smell of petrol,
looking around I found that the floor was damp and the tank was empty (had
been 3/4+ of fuel).
The question is has it killed the tyres, I took both rear tyres and put them
at the back of the garage near the front tyres and it looks like the puddle
of petrol engulfed at least both front tyres and one of the rear ones!

What say you, did it just cost me a tank of gogo juice or 3 tyres too?

The tyres have maybe 200 miles on them, Goodyear GT2's all round so not real
cheap to replace!

I think the culprit was a damaged float, (Twin SU UK set-up) I had fitted
new float valves, but the stop on the float that prevents the float from
dropping too far was broken off, I thought it would be OK but it must have
gone low enough to let the needle stick open! It now has another float
fitted, that's the stupid bit I had several spares available to me and I
stuck with the damaged one D'oh!!

---