Dan Masters problems? Help!

To: "INTERNET:SOThornton@aol.com" <SOThornton@aol.com>
Subject: Dan Masters problems? Help!
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 08:38:37 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, 6pack@autox.team.net 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h7RCgPVJ011637
Message text written by INTERNET:SOThornton@aol.com
>I have a 1971 TR6 that first developed a problem a month or so ago. I
drove
it one night and when I returned home and had to move a car in the driveway
get the TR6 in the garage, I found my TR6 would not restart. Nothing. No
grinding, no noise at all.

I thought it was the starter and replaced it. It ran on the test drive and
it
was parked again in the garage. When I tried to use it again this weekend,
again nothing. No grinding, no noise at all.

The cable from the battery to the starter had worn the coating off from
laying on the manifold so I replaced the cable. Still nothing. I checked
all of the
relevant connections and they look good.

When I tried to charge the battery with the Battery Tender, neither the red

or green light lit up. The Battery Tender worked on my TR3B though. When
the
ignition is turned to the start mode, the car has no lights at all.

What is the problem? Any ideas? Possibly two bad starters?

I have recently installed a Petronix unit and it seemed to be working well.

<

You wrote: < When the ignition is turned to the start mode, the car has no
lights at all.>

Do you mean that if you have your head lights on and you turn the key to
start the lights go out? If this is the case then I suspect a poor
connection at the battery.  Since you've done the positive cablecheck the
negative cable.

It is also possible that the battery is the culpret.  You can have it
checked at the local parts house.

If the lights don't dim then check the white/red wire.  On the '71 the
white/red wire runs directly from the keyswitch to the solenoid.  You may
have a push-on terminal that has lost it's tension and is not tight on the
tab.  Pull it off and carefully pinch it down a bit - not all the way or
you'll have difficulty getting it back on - and reinstall it.

Also, don't rule out the ignition switch itself.  I've had problems with
those before.

Good luck

Dave Massey
71 TR6