Tranny Oil

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tranny Oil
From: <stantr6@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 7:18:02 -0400
List,
My 1974 TR6 is coming out of a complete frame-off restoration.  I hope to bring
it home from the paint shop next monday, then spend a couple months of weekends
putting it back together.  I've had the 4-speed rebuilt and added a J-type
overdrive.  Currently, I have it filled with Valvoline gear oil, rated for
GL-4/GL-5.  There was some discussion not long ago regarding Red Line oils, the
difference between CL-4 and GL-5, and something about additives attacking
tranny components.

What is the BEST oil for a TR6 / J-type transmission ?
Same for the diff., or is the valvoline OK ?

Thanks,
Stan

Stan Kinmonth
1974 TR6 - ending a 5-year frame-off restoration.