RE: [OT] HGV

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [OT] HGV
From: Nicholas Froome <listreader@pvision.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:02:24 +0100
> > For all those who don't know, over 7.5 tons and up to 38 tons with an
>> articulated body!
>
>I'm a bit confused here.  I assume HGV is an acronym for High Gross Vehicle
>... would it necessarily have to be articulated ?  I'm sure most are, but
>here in the USA there are at least a few large trucks that are not.  Once
>upon a time, I drove a 15 ton straight truck (to haul liquid fertilizer).

HGV = heavy goods vehicle here in the UK

Up to 7.5 tons they're solid and beyond that they're normally articulated. But
the rules are probably as complex as everything else here

Commercial vehicles run at a "Plated Weight" - ie they're tested & rated to run
at a specific maximum load with a specific front axle / rear axle weight split.
But by various means you can plate a vehicle down and run a truck on car tax
rules and pay much less. Hence the existence of the 7.5-ton camper van...

Interested parties can take a look at
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/taxation.htm