semi?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: semi?
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:14:00 -0400
On 13 Aug 2003 at 15:09, Paige, Dean wrote:

> Don't think it's an abbreviation.
> From: Graham Stretch [mailto:technical@iwnet.screaming.net]
>> is semi an abbreviation of anything

I first heard the term " semi" meaning "tractor-trailer truck" when I
was in high school.  I questioned where the term came from and was
told it was an abbreviation for semitrailer.  My Webster's dictionary
(dated 1961 - okay, so I'm giving myself away, and it being an
American dictionary you Brits may not believe it) gives:

semitrailer - A nonautomotive trucking vehicle the forward part of
which is supported by the truck tractor that hauls the vehicle.

Now, that's a mouthful.

Just my $.007.

--
Jim Muller