Re: TR4 starter

To: "John Howard" <trjhhow7@cox.net>, "triumphs list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 starter
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:40:48 -0700
From: "John Howard" <trjhhow7@cox.net>
To: "triumphs list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 9:24 AM
Subject: TR4 starter

> Well,friends-
>
> Missed meeting you all at the TRF/VTR...was suddenly taken by a bad back.
> All is well now.....except that the car won't start.
>
> Battery is good. Solenoid clicks loudly when I turn the key. Solenoid is
> non-push button style. There is power to the starter post. All contacts
are
> clean. Running a jumper direct from the battery post (pos grnd) to the
> starter produces nothing.
>
> Must the problem be the Lucus starter? Was rebuilt three years ago and
> worked like a champ till now. Even rolled the car a bit in gear to change
> the gear location.
>
> Hate the thought of a starter replacement...one of the worst jobs,in my
> opinion.
>
> What say you all?
>
> TIA, John
> --
> John Howard, 64 TR4
> Jamestown, RI

Hey John,
I was in Jamestown a few weeks ago, I was thinking it would be nice place to
have a Triumph.

The first thing that comes to my mind is the starter jammed in the ring
gear, but if you were truely able to move the car in gear, that is probably
not the case. To check it out,  there is a square end of the armiture that
sticks out the back of the starter. You may have to remove a small dust cap
to get access to it. Try turning it with a wrench - it should turn freely.

The other thing that sounds very suspicious is the battery. How good are you
sure that it is? Try jumping it from another battery to be sure you are
getting enough amps.

Just a few quick things to try, hope it helps,
Bob