Re: TR3 Wiring Issue

To: wquincy@cox.net
Subject: Re: TR3 Wiring Issue
From: "john matthews" <john__matthews@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 11:17:03 -0700 FILETIME=[C522FCF0:01C35B7D]
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>I find that the wipers, and the heater fan, don't work well together with
>just the battery . Will this issue go away once the generator is added to
>the mix?
>Bill Quincy
>Wichita Kansas

Hi Bill,

I wouldn't expect the wipers,and heater fan to work well even with the
generator. Considering you'll probably be running the lights as well you can
expect to over-tax the stock electrical system. This is one of the reasons
you see so many of our cars with cut-up wiring harnesses in the first place.

For a while I even had a circuit breaker installed on my heater fan circuit
so I could reset it from inside the car when I needed to.

IMHO this is an area where I would depart from stock. I put an alternator in
my car, and beefed up the wiring for accessories. I added extra circuits and
fuses for these things. If you are building a concourse car obviously you
will take a big hit running an alternator, but if you're building a driver
and want reliable electrical you should ditch the dynamo and control box.

Just my $0.02.

John Matthews
'61 Herald
'63 TR 4