RE: removing broken bolt?

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: removing broken bolt?
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 15:47:12 -0700 FILETIME=[DA30A310:01C3587E]
> Thanks to some good advice from members of this list I have
> discovered that the two bolts holding the gear to the camshaft
> were both very loose.   Upon further investigation I find one of
> them is actually broken with about 1 inch of it in the camshaft.
> None of it protrudes out so I have nothing to grap onto inorder
> to unscrew it.
>
> This is not something I have done before.
>
> How can I get the broken part of the bolt out?
>
> Do I have to remove the camshaft and bring it somewhere or is
> there a way i can attempt a fix myself.?

I would try drilling the broken end of the bolt with a small left-handed
drill bit and reversed drill motor.
http://www.use-enco.com/pdfs/233.PDF
Chances are good it will walk right out enough to grab with Vise Grips (aka
mole grips).  If that doesn't work, you can try any of the various "broken
bolt removers" aka "Easy-Outs", but I've never had much luck with them.

Here's another gizmo that might work, but I've never tried them.
http://www.use-enco.com/pdfs/655.PDF

If your local supplier doesn't have either of these, buy a small carbide
tipped masonry bit and grind a fairly aggressive reverse angle on the tip,
then use it as a left handed drill bit.

Be sure to clean up carefully afterwards, don't want any metal shavings
staying under the timing cover.

Randall