re: TR4 crank seal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: TR4 crank seal
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 20:27:37 EDT
Hello TR2-4A rear crank seal scroll grind-er-off-ers,
I noticed that a high end TR motor rebuilder didn't machine the entire
scroll-seal off a TR crank shaft recently when retrofitting with upgraded
rubber
seal kit. He left an oil thrower built onto the shaft as originally designed -
imagine this keeps the hot shooting oil that's emitted from the rear bearing
from directly hitting the new rubber seal.
Anyone contemplating removing a TR2-4A crankshaft scroll might want to
consider this smart design - seems to make a lot of sense - I have a picture
for
those interested.
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

>>One last thing, in case you're tempted by the "high tech" seal conversion :
double check the correct diameter before having the crank ground down.
Apparently some vendors (Moss) were at one time telling people to grind to
63mm.  The correct dimension is 2.500"  The difference is only .020" or so,
but it does make a difference.
Randall<<