RE: Fan Belt (ii)

To: "Ian Clough" <mc_ian@yahoo.com>, "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Fan Belt (ii)
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 10:20:30 -0700 FILETIME=[3B227530:01C34575]
> I am reposting this because I originally posted during
> the American long weekend and I don't think many saw
> it (ie. I did not get the response(s) I was hoping
> for). I've searched all over the net for possible
> solutions but haven't found anything.
>
> I'm installing a new fan belt on my '75 TR6.  I was
> under the impression that I only needed to move the
> cross-member-tubing away from the pulley to slip
> off the old belt, but I found that the steering rack
> is also in the way!! Am I missing something??  Does
> the steering rack also have to be moved??  How hard is
> it to move/remove the rack?  My Haynes
> manual mentions NOTHING about the rack!  Damn!

Ian, I saw several responses.  I don't believe it's normal to have to move
anything, but there is deliberately some room for adjustment in the motor
attachment points.  As someone already suggested, try moving it back as far
as it will go.

The rack isn't hard to move (just loosen the mounts, no need to take it
out), but reinstalling it properly requires putting some lateral compression
on the rubber mounts, which needs a special tool.  Shouldn't be too hard to
jury-rig something, if you're handy that way, but without the compression,
the rack will start moving inside the mounts and cause sloppy steering.
Personally, I'd rather jack the motor up a bit.  If you do it without
undoing the mounts first, you can see which ones need to be replaced <g>

Of course, I'm no TR6 expert, so keep the sodium chloride handy;

Randall