Re: Junk Yard Find

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Junk Yard Find
From: Doug Hamilton <douglasehamilton@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2003 14:37:14 -0600
I find it odd that everyone like to call the Datsun roadster a copy of
the MGB or TR4 etc when if fact the car came out in 1956 or 57
pre-dating any of the wind up window inexpensive LBCs. The other comment
that is frequently made about the 1500-1600 Datsun push rod motors is
that it was a copy of the BMC A-series engine even though it predates
the the BMC design the Datsun first appeared in 1946. The SU carbs where
a copy of the originals as where the the Dunlop Griling brakes. One old
timer mechanic in the local club has said he rebuilt a Datsun roadster
transmission totally from Morris parts back in the 60s when he worked in
a BMC dealer so who copied who I would bet Datsun copied BMC but your
guess is as good as mine.

Doug Hamilton
1960 Triumph TR3A
1963 Fiat Cabriolet