Up up and away

To: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pix-cinema.com>
Subject: Up up and away
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 09:45:58 -0400
Cc: "Triumph List (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h65DkHF8011844
Message text written by Mark Hooper
>An old friend of mine (a sort of bizarre hopeless/hapless fellow) is now
into his latest fad, building his own aeroplane. Since I figure he will
utterly destroy himself and thus eliminate the need for occasional
injections of cash, I want to throw my full moral support into his
endeavour. He's looking for a suitable motor. If I was a better person I
would have suggested a cast iron engine from a TR or even a Stanley
Steamer,
but I'm not and that would have prevented him getting high enough to do any
significant damage. He feels that the best engine for his new concept is a
from a Corvair. Does anybody know where and for how little we could obtain
such a beastie?
<

Mark, do your friend a favour and suggest Solar Power.   Not only will it
save
his life, but there might also be some tax breaks in it.

Seriously, a co-worker of mine built a plane from a kit years ago.  Took
him many years to build it and another 6 months to work out the bugs in the
fuel system (fuel boiling in the fuel lines means no liquid fuel to the
carbs) after the first crash.  The second crash broke his neck.  He
survived but had to wear a halo device to immobilize his head for about 4
months.  He eventually recovered but lost the plane in the great flood of
93.  All told, I doubt he had more than 10 hours in the air with it.

But then, I think he would not have traded the experience for anything in
the world.

Dave

P.S. I don't know where to get a corvair engine.