Re: Valve Adjustments + Pushrods

To: "Triumphs List (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Valve Adjustments + Pushrods
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 17:10:46 -0400
On 2 Jul 2003 at 12:53, john & patricia donnelly wrote:

> But, #4 now was tapping. After several attempts of adjusting to different
>clearances it seemed that
> .007" seemed best for noise, not the .010" like the manual claims.

Don't really know about the TR4, but I'm prompted to ask a
hypothetical question.  Is it spec'ed that you set them hot or cold?
Most cars (that I know of) are spec'ed cold.  Depending on how the
block and head and pushrods and rockers and valves expand, the
clearance will change as it heats up.  On most cars (that I know of),
the clearances seem to decrease as everything heats up.  Which means
that your cold(?) spec of .007" (Really, Mr. Bond?) is too low, and
tapping that you hear on a cold engine will go away as it heats up.

Just my .007 cents.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com