TR-6 Hardtop Questions...

To: "INTERNET:SHOMWAY@aol.com" <SHOMWAY@aol.com>
Subject: TR-6 Hardtop Questions...
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:15:58 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h5UEFXBd000580
Message text written by INTERNET:SHOMWAY@aol.com
>I just purchased a factory hardtop for my 76 TR-6. The car originally did
not
>come with the hardtop option. After looking at the car and the hardtop I
have
>a few questions.
>#1 Will I need to drill holes through the top of the windshield frame to
bolt
>the front lip of the hardtop down? I see the plugs where the bolts fit but

>they dont go all the way through.

The holes are there, they are covered up by the vinyl.  If you feel along
the header rail youwill feel there the holes are.  Take an Exacto knife and
carefully cut the vinyl and you are done.

>#2 Can the soft top be folded and use the hardtop or does the soft top
need
>to come off and out of the car?
>#3 Where does the rear of the hardtop bolt to the car? Is this another
area
>that needs to be drilled out?

These two need to be answered together.  The rear of the top uses two of
the five bolt holes used by the folding top so it is necessary to unbolt
the folding top at the rear to fit the hard top. Furthermore, the top is
also attached to the car at the point just behind the doors by attaching a
bracket (a tapped shaft with a flang on the end with a counter sunk hole)
to one of the three machine screws that secure the folding top at that
point.  I don't remember which screw to remove but you remove it and
replace it with a longer one through the bracket.  Once in place this
bracket interferes with the unfolding of the folding top which means you
can't erect it without removing the brackets.

The short of it is the two tops are pretty much mutually exclusive and
swapping over takes about an hour (after a little practice).  But the hard
top converts the car to a tight, quiet little coupe.

Enjoy

Dave Massey
71 TR6
Thanks for any help you can provide,