RE: wanted - water pump

To: "Triumphs@Autox. Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: wanted - water pump
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 19:33:26 -0700
> i've tried to rebuild my water pump and it still leaks, so i am
> going to break
> down and buy one.  can someone recommend a place to purchase a
> water pump for
> an 80 tr7 ?  i'd prefer new, but i have seen prices from $150 to
> $350 with and
> without the impeller.  i don't want to wait months for it either.

Larry, I don't know who to recommend, but I wanted to warn you about a
problem that has been much discussed on the Stag list (the Stag uses the
same water pump as the TR7).  It appears that many pumps are being supplied
with a drive gear that is too soft, and/or slightly wrong pitch, so it wears
very rapidly.  When it finally breaks, you not only suddenly have no cooling
(which as you know is a serious issue on these motors), but it usually tears
up the jackshaft with it and fills the engine with bits of gear.

The recommendation is to either reuse your old gear, buy from someone that
100% hardness tests new gears (like Tony Hart in the UK), or have the new
gear hardness tested.

Randall