Re: TR4 rear-end noise

To: Nicholas Froome <listreader@pvision.co.uk>
Subject: Re: TR4 rear-end noise
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 22:21:41 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Nicholas Froome wrote:

>On the way back from a recent race meeting, where the TR4 was fine all day,
>the car started making a loud clicking noise from the rear

Maybe you've solved this long ago? If so I'm interested to hear your
outcome.

Otherwise assuming you *don't* have a baseball card in your spokes --
you have alloys, right? -- I'd look hard at the wheel bearings, the
diff, the crankshaft.  I've had no such noises on my TR4 (knock on metal
dash) but on my '72 BMW 2002 the non-rhythmic clicking/clanking sound
was a wheel bearing.  It would bind, make a loud snapping sound,
release, but it was not an even clicking sound.  When the rear diff
went, it was rhythmic, and got progressively worse, but at first seemed
to go away at speed.  It was probably just drowned out.  Many metal
chunks drained out when I finally checked.

And of course, the brake drum was cracked, that's odd.

--
Steven Newell
Littleton, CO