Re: connector lubricant

To: Triumph Newsgroup <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: connector lubricant
From: J Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 14:17:21 -0700
The connector lubricant I mentioned in my earlier post is
"Kopr-Shield"... I bought it from Eastwood many years ago and have been
using it on all my vehicles, etc.   (A little goes a long way, I'm still
using the original 1 1/2 oz. bottle!)

I do my best to clean both the male and female ends of connectors,
including bullet joints, etc...    using electrical contact cleaner
sprays, wire brushes, swabs, etc. (varies depending upon application)
and then I  carefully apply Kopr-Shield to the connection.

When I was having problems that first year of having my car on the road,
I discovered that the metal that makes up my little lucas fuse box, on
my TR 4A, would barely conduct electricity.  Even if I scratched the
surface of the metal and tried to test the conductivity of the metal ...
I couldn't get  continuity readings!   Brand new fuses aren't going to
work if the metal they're housed in won't conduct electricity!!!
 Cleaning the metal didn't do it. However, cleaning the metal and adding
Kopr-Shield remedied the situation and I have yet to have issues with
the fuse box since.  (About 9 years or so.)

(The incident may be a demonstration of what many people have said is a
root cause of "Lucas Prince of Darkness"...  poor quality metals used as
conductors, etc....)

I went through my wire loom, fairly methodically...  cleaning
connectors, etc...  and using Kopr-Shield...   There are still areas I
have yet to cover, but most of the critical connections have been dealt
with.  Kopr-Shield is kind of like Holy water...  it repels the Prince
of Darkness.

---Justin Wagner

Kopr-Shield

Item No. - 25002
Applied to electrical contacts before the final connection, Kopr-Shield
helps improve electrical conductivity, protects contacts against
corrosion. This copper compound is ideal for low or high-draw
accessories, such as horns, lights, blower motors, etc. Perfect when
replacing or repairing difficult to reach components; greatly reduces
failures due to contact corrosion. Works on exhaust system joints and
hardware too. Brush in cap.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/email/default.asp?T1=25002&SRCCODE=G5KW76