Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Interesting item on eBay web site item#2419913967: T

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Interesting item on eBay web site item#2419913967: Triump...
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 14:19:46 EDT
In a message dated 6/17/2003 10:25:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
wbmcleod@cox.net writes:

> Well, that's what I get for reading more into the ad than was really
> there!  I definitely stand corrected.  Thank you for setting it
> straight.  Did it actually make the car structurally weaker, as in so
> many US cars when the owners took a torch to the roof pillars, or did it
> stay  reasonably rigid?

Convertible Heralds did have some extra body structure, as well as additional
"anti-burst" door catches, to help stiffen the car somewhat. The "saving
grace" is that Heralds had a fairly sturdy chassis (relatively speaking), so
that
the cars did not rely primarily on the roof structure to help stiffen the car.
But as even the Herald convertibles were/are quite flexible, I would not
recommend spending a lot of time driving a Herald sedan or coupe with the roof
unbolted.

--Andy

Andrew Mace, Vice President, Member Services
  and 10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Vehicle Consultant
The Vintage Triumph Register <www.vtr.org>