RE: Plug Wire Advice

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Plug Wire Advice
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 21:35:34 -0700
> It's time to replace suspect plug wires and too-loose connectors.  I'd
> appreciate any recommendations that would combine performance
> with something staying
> close to period originality.  What works well and looks great?

Solid-core wire is pretty much a necessity with the stock TR3 distributor
cap.  If you try to use ordinary carbon-core wire, it will fairly quickly
burn and fail where the screws pierce it.  The new "high-performance"
spiral-wound wires might work Ok, I don't know.

I've been running the same set of Whitaker wires for almost 20 years now ...
sure wish I knew where to buy new ones just like them.  Tinned copper
conductor, black insulation, with a suppression resistor inside the red
silicone plug boot.  Got them from JC Whitney back in about 1985.  Look good
too, IMO.

Another alternative that I've never tried ... an MGB dizzy cap should fit
and will take conventional plug wires.  Bet MGB wire sets would fit too.

Randall