RE: Tr3a carb gasket set

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tr3a carb gasket set
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 08:43:16 -0700
> - being a "simple" carb, is there any part I can't do without taking the
> entire carb out of the car?

No, everything but the throttle shaft, butterfly, and manifold gaskets can
be done with the carb on the car.  However, for a first timer, I would
definitely suggest taking them off.  It's a lot easier when you can see what
you're doing, and you're less likely to make (expensive) mistakes.  Don't
forget to start by taking loose the vacuum advance pipe.

> - when replacing the gaskets, is it a case of taking about something like
> the jet assembly and matching the replacement parts? Or is there a diagram
> somewhere?

Lots of diagrams, but finding the one that's just right for your car may be
a problem.

> - what have people found to work best at removing the varnish etc from gas
> off the components? Carb cleaner? Soaking them? Spray-on?

I generally pick up the cheap spray carb cleaner when it's the "loss leader"
at Kragen, etc.  SUs don't have any of the fiddly little passages that other
carbs have, so they're usually very easy to clean.

Another disadvantage of trying to do this on the car : carb cleaner will eat
paint!

Randall